Friday, April 17, 2009

Hot off the work bench......


"House of the Rising Sun"

There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one
My mother was a tailor
She sewed my new bluejeans
My father was a gamblin' man
Down in New Orleans
Now the only thing a gambler needs
Is a suitcase and trunk
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's on a drunk

------ organ solo ------
Oh mother tell your children
Not to do what I have done
Spend your lives in sin and misery
In the House of the Rising Sun
Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain
Well, there is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one

For this piece I used a combination of copper and sterling silver wire. I named it for the above mentioned song title, which is one of my personal favorites. The Carnelian chips that encircle the piece are ment to represent the outer edges of the sun. The faceted lemon quartz focal in the center, surrounded by faceted crystal quartz rondells, offer a balance to the color combination. The dangles feature crystal quartz as well as a solitary lemon quartz briolette added to the base. The frame of the pendant is wrapped in sterling silver wire. For the attachment bail on the top of the pendant I flattened a piece of 16 gauge copper wire and finished it with a ripple effect. Which was highly polished to a lighter luster giving a strong offset to the piece. I then decided to add a coil the center for more balance. For the chain, I did a figure 8 wrap linking them togather with jump rings. They are doubled near the base and singled up around to the ends. Where we come to the toggle, in which I made 2 swirls, one is larger then the other and they hook together nicely.

I feel overall the balance of the piece is right on,

It is very comfortable to wear.

With just the right amount of "POP"

This is definately a statement piece.

3 comments:

Jelveh Designs said...

wow its lovely...

lyptis said...

Love that song!

And ur piece looks great, very intricate!

Kim said...

Mary, this piece is so pretty! I love all the details you've worked in there!