Friday, April 10, 2009

Blue on Black.......

Recently I won the 3 month Era challenge in the Bead Hive group. I was first astounded by the announcement, and second very humbled to be chosen by the BHV members as the winner, as there was several outstanding entries! This challenge was started on January 1, 2009, each month we were asked to make a piece of jewelry inspired by a time period within an era.

The piece I entered as the first section I designed to reflect the Egyptian period.
This bright shiny copper bangle features a stunning lapis focal. The wire form was hand woven down both sides of the focal. To finish the “look” I then added lapis rounds in a wave pattern.

My second entry was designed to reflect the Renaissance Period. Where I made a copper wire form hair thingy...lol Don't you just love my technical terms. Anyway the piece was adorned in garnet faceted rondells, emerald swarvoski crystals, with cubic zirconia teardrops in crystal clear and amethyst freefalling from the center swirls.

The third entry was designed for the Art Nouveau Period. In this piece I went all out, necklaces are something I rarely endulge in, each copper component was hand formed, every dangle wire wrapped, and assembled. Then came the fun part, adding the pizzazz. Swarovski crystals in blue and black adorn this piece. To finish the piece it was "aged" with liver-of-sulfur.

You might recognize that blue and black part as that is the title of my blog and the new name for this necklace. I will be creating a line of copper and sterling silver wire creations that will reflect the name of a song that the inspiration for the piece stemmed from. Some of them (like the one I am currently working on) might be a bit eccentric or eclectic so be forwarned..lol

3 comments:

Hannah_Bowman said...

congrats!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations Mary, well deserved. My favorite is the necklace, so beautiful!

A Beaded Affair said...

Congratulations on the win. Love your copper work. I really adore copper. The design of your blog is wonderful and peaceful. I'll be back to visit again.
Lois
http://www.abeadedaffair.com